top of page
Y Dolydd / Llanfyllin Workhouse is a developing community centre and venue for the arts, music, creativity and education. The Workhouse is owned, managed and supported by the Llanfyllin Dolydd Building Preservation Trust.
Built in 1837, this imposing stone building served as a workhouse for up to 250 inmates until 1930, when it became a local authority institution and later a care home. It finally closed in 1983.
Y Dolydd enjoyed a brief period of rejuvenation as an outdoor pursuits centre, before being left empty from the mid 80’s. The historic yet rather austere buildings remained empty and derelict until local residents formed a charitable body to save the buildings. eventually taking full ownership in 2008. Work began soon after, clearing the site and preparing to renovate led by local volunteers as well as visitors from afar.
The buildings and surrounding land is now owned and run by the community, for the community.
bottom of page